Mortgage Insurance Insights Newsletter
Products + Solutions
April 2, 2015 | Mortgage Insurance Insights Newsletter
Purchase Advantage Plus™
The Purchase Advantage Plus™ program is designed to assist borrowers who are looking to purchase a home with a desire to implement value-added improvements immediately after taking possession. This program allows homebuyers to include these renovation costs within their first mortgage, and all with as little as 5% down.
- Purchase transactions.
- Eligible for portability.
- Maximum 4 units, with 1 unit owner-occupied.
- New construction or existing resale properties.
- Maximum 95% LTV for Purchase of 1-2 units.
- Maximum 90% LTV for Purchase of 3-4 units.
- The lending value is based on the lesser of the improved property value or the purchase price, plus all direct costs associated with the improvements.
- A full appraisal is required for improvements exceeding 20% of the as-is value of the home or $40,000.
- The borrower must provide the lender with quotes for the work to be completed.
- Standard underwriting guidelines apply.
- Standard documentation.
- Lender is responsible for managing holdbacks.
- Lender to confirm improvements are completed.
While chattels and certain upgrades will often add to the marketability of the property, under this program, the following items would not qualify as an improvement:
- Decorative Items (light fixtures, etc.)
- Hot Tubs
- Pools and Landscaping*
- Furnace/Air Conditioner
*A percentage of the cost may be considered on an exception basis.
UNDERSTANDING THE PURCHASE ADVANTAGE PLUS™ PROCESS
The below steps highlight the process by which the Purchase Advantage Plus program traditionally follows. From initial quote to finished improvements, understanding and preparing for each phase will help expedite the review process.
- STEP 1: Borrower makes an offer on a property.
- STEP 3: Borrower provides his/her lender with the quote(s) at the time of application.
- STEP 4: Deal is approved, conditions are met and file is funded.
- STEP 5: Lender holds back the amount of improvements.
- STEP 6: Lender to confirm that improvements are completed.
- STEP 7: Holdback is released to the borrower.
Should you have any questions or wish to discuss your client’s unique circumstances, please do not hesitate to contact your dedicated Account Executive or speak directly with a member of our National Underwriting Team at 1.877.244.8422.
NOTE: The Lender’s internal guidelines always take precedence and must be adhered to prior to review by Canada Guaranty.